After our visit to Hylton Castle we made a stop on our way home at Penshaw Monument. Mr. Ray suggested that the bairns (kids) might enjoy climbing to the top. He was right! We had a great time climbing to the top of the hill and the view was amazing.
We have found that many of the parks, gardens and National trust sites employ sheep and cattle during the winter months to trim the surrounding grasses. We found a few cows grazing peacefully on our way up the hill.
Penshaw Monument was built in 1844 in honour of the first Earl of Durham. The Earl’s name was Sir John George Lambton. The monument is 70 feet tall and stands atop a high limestone hill and is one of the area’s most prominent landmarks. It appears from a distance to be an ancient Roman temple ruin. It is a replica of Athens’ Temple of Hephaestus.
Penshaw Monument is a beloved landmark of this area and the sight of it from train or motorway assures residents that they are now home.